Sunday, December 20, 2009

Polar Express Around the World ward party

Our ward had a Christmas party themed Polar Express Around the World. The kids got to travel "around the world" in their train. They visited countries like Japan, Taiwan, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Tonga, Mexico, Brazil and Belarus.
Ready to roll!

Misha

I got to represent Belarus and its holiday traditions. This was the room me and Eric decorated. I had some pictures showing Kolyada celebrations, books about Belarus, music and candy for the kids. They learned a little about ancient traditions of the Slavs.

Eric helped a lot that day. He was playing a role of a father of the family, wearing straw hat and linen clothing.



I told the kids about the hay under the tablecloth representing hay in a manger baby Jesus laid on. The jug filled with water represented hopes for unhappiness and sadness to stay in the old year and new hopes, good health and happiness fill the new year.


When "the journey around the world" was over, kids had a little coloring project and they also got to write a letter to Santa Claus.

Then they all sat and listened to Polar Express story.
Mimi and Valentina


And then... they got to visit with Santa.
Best friends forever ;-)

3 comments:

Laurie D. said...

Looks like it was a fun Christmas party! I love learning about other cultures.

The Hales said...

Looks like your children are growing up so fast and that activity looks real fun. I wish I was there.

Michelle said...

you have a beautiful family!
Thanks for sharing your blog with me!!
Michelle @ I Heart Publix!