Sunday, November 16, 2008

Baltic Amber



Please check out the link above. It tells the story of the Amber Room, the treasure hunt idea of my childhood...

When I was a child, I went to visit my grandma, who lived by the Baltic Sea (it also happens to be the location of the world's largest amber deposit). Imagine kids often going to the beach picking up sea-shells. Well, for me they weren't shells, they were pieces of sunshine stone - amber. Talking about happy childhood...

There is also the incredible Amber Museum in Kaliningrad (former Konigsberg).
The location is incredible, as well as the building - ancient fort, which holds the most wonderful collection of amber art, jewelry, antiquity and masterpieces. The place is a true treasure find.

__________________________________________________


There was also a memory connected with another stone - Belemnoidea (devil's finger). Ha, another B word. I did not realize it was the fossil of an ancient squid. Talking about learning something new every day...


0 comments: